Moments that make me feel good about my life
Recently my Aunt Angela died. Beyond the normal grieving over a one of a kind woman who cut a wide & positive swath through the lives of many, I have also been feeling like a real heel. You see, I didn't make the time to give her over the past few months even though she wrote to me and called a few times. That simply isn't the person I want to be. I want to be the kind of person who absolutely makes time for people ... because I know it's the people and our experiences together that have always mattered to me as I look back on my years so far.
So today I was out wedding dress shopping with Elaine. She's this fabulous woman that I've known since I was in pigtails. After the shopping expedition came to a close, we stopped to get some noodle soup for dinner. And she said "I have to ask you something." I was expecting her to crack a joke. Instead, she asked me if I would be in her wedding. I was speechless actually. She told me she wanted me there because I've been following her around her whole life. (Too true. *laff*) And then later waxed more serious and said it's because there are just some people who are there with you over time no matter what. Yes. We have lived alot of life together. She is one of the integral patches sewn into the quilt of my life.
Anyway. I know I could definitely do a better job of making time for the people in my life but every once in awhile maybe I manage to get it right. In my world there aren't many higher compliments than Elaine's sentiment. Somehow, it made me feel like less of a heel.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home