Monday, September 12, 2005

Astoundingly different reactions

I recently traveled down to Bend, OR to visit my sister. We went to see Pink Martini. They were consistently as good as their albums. And that part of the evening was enjoyable and relaxing, as expected and what we were looking for that evening.

What interests me though is the opening group: the Brazilian Girls (only one of which is a girl).

I hadn't ever heard of them. And what I heard while at the concert was truly about the worst music I've ever had the displeasure to absorb. It was so bad Cari and I almost left the concert without hearing Pink Martini. Not only did I think their sound was terrible, I found their lyrics quite stupid and their presentation and crowd interaction inane.

Exhibit 1: "Pussy". The song lyrics consisted 2/3 of the word "pussy" and 1/3 of the word "marijuana" ... or at least that's all I could hear. And the actual music sounded like a bunch of noise ... not even like good modern jazz or electronic music.

Exhibit 2: Some song that was all about having material wealth ... "see my big house and my cool car", etc. ... and after the song was over the woman said "Because it's all about us. Right Bend?", like that was some sort of rallying cry for the people in America. Of course that didn't resonate well with people in Bend. There was dead silence after that comment.

After I left the concert, it continued to be a source of great amusement to me. I've been laughing about it ever since.

Anyway. I was curious how such a *terrible*, unintelligent and classless band managed to open for Pink Martini so I went searching for them. And surprise, surprise - I think I like their music. And much of it is in other languages so I can't tell whether all the lyrics are inane. I guess they just had a terrible sound engineer or truly suck at live performance or something.

I'm trying to remember another band in the 80s that was that way ... popular on recorded music but that bombed their concerts and were never heard from again ... was it Wilson Philips (sp.?)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home