Wine and food pairings
I really suck at choosing wines to go with particular foods. On Saturday night I made turkey breasts with a papaya-lime sauce, brown/wild rice combo and green beans. I chose to open a bottle of the Stone Wolf Pinot Grigio thinking that is would go well, especially with the nutty rice. I now think it was too acidic to be a great pairing with the slightly sweet food (none of the food was overly sweet just a hint).
The next day, since we didn't finish the bottle at dinner the night before, I had a glass with a grilled pork loin seasoned with garlic, some of the same rice, black beans and snap peas. It was really great with the pork and beans ... not so good with the rice and peas (the sweeter foods on the plate).
Hm. I'm not even sure what lesson I learned from this. Pinot Grigios go better with blander spiced food?
2 Comments:
Amen! I am very poor at this also, but I am such a poor connoisseur of wine that I rarely notice (except in extreme mismatches). The dinners sound fantastic. When are we having that BBQ at your house, with that other slacker Ryan?
Let's learn! I'm having fun even with my mistakes. :) Methinks we should do the BBQ before I head off to the wilds for the holiday. You?
Post a Comment
<< Home